Wednesday 6 April 2011

Times flies and the latest project...

I can't believe it's April already. The weeks just seem to fly past faster and faster. I've been really busy at work lately and by the time I get home, walked the dogs and have cooked and eaten supper there seems little time or energy left to do anything much at all. Mind you the lighter evenings definitely help. I've also been trying really hard to spend more time in the sewing room as it really does help to destress at the end of the day - well normally anyway, except when something doesn't go quite the way you want it to!!
Anyway the latest doll project is well underway. She's called long tall Sally and is for hanging on a wall rather than standing or sitting.







There's lots of work still to do. Lots of flowers to make - like the ones on the feet. Lots of beads or embellishments of some sort to sew on and lots of face and hair things to do but I'm really pleased with the way she's turning out now, after having had doubts about her and thus a distinct hiccup in the commitment to finishing her off. I dyed the material for her skirt myself - a first having never dyed anything before - and wasn't sure about how it had come out. I made the flowers for her boots (and am still making flowers for elsewhere on her outfit) - again another first. I'm really enjoying experimenting with things and waiting to see how they come out. I might have sewed on and off for years but mainly clothes and doll making is far more creative and it gives you the chance to let your imagination run riot. I just need to develop the skills that go with the imagination!!
The last weekend in March was a really busy one. Saturday was dolls club and yet again the experienced doll makers in the club kindly shared their knowledge and skills with those of us less so, so many thanks to Shashi for helping me with the dolls head sculpting. I'm looking forward to my next doll as I plan to sculpt the face thanks to the help I've had. Also thanks to Mavis - I had a great time on the Sunday at the NEC Sewing for pleasure, Fashion and Embroidery and Hobbycraft combined shows. I spent most of my time in the Sewing and Fashion sections marvelling at some of the wonderful exhibitions by very talented people. I'll try to post some of the pictures I took next time I'm writing ... In the meantime I need a cuppa and Masterchef calls....

No comments:

Post a Comment