Thursday 16 March 2017

Am I brave? Why I've become my own boss

Why become  your own boss? Or even why would you become your own boss? If you're employed by someone  you turn up, do your work, go home, all without worrying about orders, taxes, VAT, health and safety legislation and so on and so on, and just take the paycheck at the end of the month. Despite that more and more people are going self employed - or in my case becoming a Microentrepeneur because we're in France. I think there are probably as many reasons for going self employed as there are people who so it, but there are some basic reasons...
  1.  to be your own boss 
  2. to make your own decisions
  3. to get all the income yourself
  4. to develop a new business idea 
  5. because you think you'd be better at it than your boss
  6. to make your own fortune
I guess all of them are true to a degree for every one who gives self employment a go, successful or not, and equally everyone in that position would probably say that their reasons are theirs alone. Both true I'm sure.

For me all the above reasons are true, but none of them, if I'm brutally honest, are the main reason that I set out on this road originally. The initial reason was purely and simply so that I could say I was working in France and thus am entitled to healthcare here. It's actually nowhere near as simple as that as there are still lots of hoops to jump through, but as time goes on I have also realised that being my own boss, making my own decisions and being creative in my own right is actually well worth the hoop jumping and I would say, in all honesty, that the healthcare thing, although still very important, is on longer the main reason I'm self employed. I'm doing it for me! 

No comments:

Post a Comment