Thursday 19 December 2013

Do I or don't I?

This week I've been trying to make a decision about something. Maybe you can help me?

The question I'm trying to solve is related to my hopes and desires, my fabric addiction, my Mum, my future and my present!

To me it feels complicated, but maybe someone out there can give me some suggestions or ideas or some perceptions that will help me cut through the stuff that makes it feel complicated.

Ok, here goes. I have an addiction to fabric and I have bought so much over the last 3-4 years that it is taking over my house. If I saw a bargain, either in a shop or on line, particularly on a particular on line auction site, I had to have it - for a rainy day, for when I retire or just for no reason. I used my credit card ( now paid off) and bought bulk lots as well as single pieces, everything from upholstery fabric to vintage fabric to bridal fabric, and some haberdashery lots too. Now it has got to the stage where I can no longer sew in my sewing room because it's too full of "stuff". The stuff is in lots of other places in the house too! Hubby is beginning to get cross about the amount of the "stuff" and I'm getting frustrated because I can't sew easily.

Why did I buy it you ask? Well it was for my future plans primarily. In that I'm in a position to be able to retire from the NHS in 21 months time, and although the pension won't be sufficient to live on it will go a long way towards it. I currently am beginning to struggle with my job and the stress involved in it so my dream is to take my pension at 55, and then top up my pension with some sort of textile business. So I thought that while I could afford it I should buy the fabric ready for later, but now I have so much fabric it's affecting my life now!

Anyway I've decided I need to make some decisions about what to do with it all. My husband just wants me to throw most of it away, and believe me that is not going to happen! It's not good for the environment, not frugal and not what I want to do! But I have to get the house in to a more usable and tidy state! Lol

So, what to do with the fabric? In the last week I've seen a couple of options and need some advice so help me out here...

Do I.....

Put it in storage at a cost of £12-15 a week in a wooden storage crate inside a large barn type building......

Rent a small office/workshop about 5-6 miles away from home, knowing that working full time means I will be limited with the amount of time I can spend there but at the same time giving myself the space to start building a business. The office is in a small complex with a number of other small businesses and appears to be a real community type space....

Do what hubby wants and just get rid of it all....

Suggestions on a postcard.... Or alternatively just on a comment below...

And to help here's a picture of one of the vintage dresses I have in construction. It's made using a real vintage 40's pattern made in modern material, not quite finished...


 

I've got to the stage where I've gone around this in my head time and time and time again and don't seem to be getting anywhere...


Thanks in advance for your help and suggestions
KJ xx

4 comments:

  1. Hi I hope this doesn't sound harsh......
    You say it's affecting your life,your hubby wants rid and it's stopping you enjoying your sewing. I think it's best to be brutal here and get rid of half. Can you sell it on ebay? If not you could ensure it gets used by freegleing it. There's loads of people who would use it. I'm interested to know how long you have been adding to this collection? I know you say you would like a textile business. What sort, what will you make? Will it be to make money or just a hobby? Can you make a promise not to buy anymore until you at least retire?
    Cut up the credit card, or put in in a sandwich bag of water and freeze it, not so final then but good delay tactic. Be strong, clear it out.
    I find clutter makes me feel agitated and my life feels less complicated when I get rid of stuff.
    Good luck and go for it! Xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It doesn't sound harsh at all. I've been adding to the collection for about 4 years now, but haven't bought any for the last 4 or 5 months. I've already paid off and closed the credit card account so that's no longer a problem. I'm not sure I can halve it but maybe I could get rid of at least a quarter to start with.
      You are right about clutter, and interestingly the downstairs of our house is truly clutter free!
      I'll keep you posted...

      KJ x

      Delete
  2. I have seen your stash and it is scary. And frankly, even if you take early retirement, live to be 150 and sew 12 hours a day EVERY day you're unlikely to use more than a third of it. Be ruthless, look at each bolt/piece decide whether or not you really have a use for it and Freecycle any you just don't like. Aim to clear half of it and then you'll have room to move and sew. Why pay storage!!! And if you have room to sew at home you won't need to rent unit space :-) I had the same issue with knitting wool (must be a family thing lol); I'd bought a LOT for 'when I retired, it began to loom over me and in the end I bit the bullet and dropped it off at local craft groups and old peoples homes. I don't regret letting it go (although I wish I'd put the money I spent on it into a savings account instead) and my new rule is finish each craft project before buying materials for another one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have been to a few vintage fairs of late and the prices people are getting for clothes and fabric is good , maybe it is something you could think about ? If him indoors came with you and saw the money coming in he might not mind about the "stuff " so much.

    ReplyDelete