Saturday 19 January 2013

Community spirit and my belief in human nature restored

Yesterday we got up to lots of snow and I ended up walking the last 2 miles to work as I couldn't get up the small hill because of the snow. Today we got up to the main roads being much clearer but the compacted snow on the road in our little cul de sac had frozen overnight and was solid ice. I started the morning by clearing snow and ice in the back garden to enable us to get to the gate safely. Then I went out to the front and cleared the front path and the bit of the drive (only about 6 feet) to the road. Liz across the road was clearing the snow on her drive too. We stopped to chat and were talking about the ice on the road and how I watched a car sliding sideways towards a parked care earlier on (it didn't hit it I hasten to add but more by luck than judgement). Anyway Liz and I decided to try to break up some of the ice on the corner of the road and before long we had 9 or 10 neighbours helping and within the hour or so most of the cul de sac road was clear of road. We can now all drive safely to the main road if we want to. One of the neighbours made us all tea and coffee and we spoke to people we'd never spoken to before. All in all a real show of community spirit - and let's be honest noone else was going to clear the road were they!!!

Later on in the day more snow as hubby and I went out with the spaniels! Throwing snow balls for them was funny as they really couldn't work out where they vanished too!


 
  A good time was had by all and with all the exercise who needs the gym!!

In the sewing room I have almost finished January's  CQJP 2013 entry and for a first ever attempt at a crazy quilt square - or any quilting come to that matter I'm quite please. Tomorrow a picture of the finished object... Then I have promised to complete the pony as my next UFO to do. That is then my 2 finished UFO's to match the new project of the knitting needle roll. So then I have to finish 2 more before I can start anything else new. Frustrating as I have new doll patterns cut out...but they will have to wait a few days..


No comments:

Post a Comment