Thursday 17 January 2013

Things on the sewing table..

In my last post I said pictures of the Quilt exhibition followed by things on my sewing table. However I seem to have temporarily lost the pictures from the Quilt exhibition, so pictures from the sewing room instead!! 

This is my partially finished pony! As you can see from the sewing machine in the background, he's quite large!! Actually much larger than I anticipated. It's funny how a paper pattern doesn't always give an accurate idea of the size of the finished article - or maybe I just didn't look close enough! Anyway he still needs his tummy closing, ears, eyelids and eyelashes, not to mention saddle, bridle and rug!! Oh and a rider to go with him - that might take a little while longer!
  


This is a partly finished flamingo, started 3 months ago at the dolls club I go to. It's a present for a friend - supposed to be for Christmas, but fortunately I haven't seen her for ages so it can still be a belated Christmas present and I can claim that it was just awaiting delivery!! Unless of course she reads my blog!






This is my first months entry for CQJP 2013. That stands for Crazy Quilt Journal Project for 2013. I've never done anything like this before so it's a learning curve - and fun, mixing and matching the colours. I have done a bit more to this since I took the photo and am hopeful of getting this completed in January as per the challenge rules. If you're interested in finding out more follow this link 




This is a pair of bags that I started for me to use for work. I have layered the fabrics with cotton wadding and lining fabric, using machine embroidery to join the fabrics together. The smaller one (to use as a handbag) is much nearer completion that the larger one (to use to carry papers etc to work). It just needs fasteners and a carrying strap, whereas the larger one is really just the layered fabric with nothing else done!



There's lots more unfinished projects but I thought that would give you a taster. Anyway today, despite making a promise to myself not to start anything new until I'd finished at least 2 UFO's, I had a crisis. I picked up my knitting needle roll which I had been given as a present years ago, and yet again everything fell out of it. It was badly designed to my mind, with the needles facing both ways, which meant that it didn't matter which way up you carried it things fell out!

Anyway I was finally so frustrated I went into the cupboard, dragged out an old curtain that used to hang at the back door when we moved in but which has since been replaced, and made myself a new knitting needle holder!

It also holds all my crochet hooks and a few other knitting accessories, with extra pockets, a fold over top with velcro  fastenings and two machine embroidered ribbons to tie up the roll. 
Anyway I was so pleased with myself for starting and finishing a project in one session! And then to really put the icing on the cake so's to speak I recycled the original knitting needle holder by turning the pockets round and altering it to fold over so nothing falls out so I can use if for my set of double pointed knitting needles!

So I finished the day one very happy crafter!! And I have promised myself (again) that I will finish at least one UFO this weekend - keep watching to see if I manage to keep my promise....

No comments:

Post a Comment